Indoor gateways can be used outside when sufficiently protected from the elements.
Considerations for such use include:
- Weather proof enclosure (NEMA 4X)
- Avoid condensation
- WiFi or Ethernet connection to Internet (or cellular modem backhaul)
- Power (Power over Ethernet)
- Quality cable glands
- Easy/safe access
- Grounding/lightning protection according to local code
- LoRa antenna (omidirectional/directional) + cable (shorter cable is better)
An indoor type LoRa gateway is not suitable for carrier-grade applications.